Wednesday, December 12, 2012

And Then The Tears

On Tuesday, November 6th, 2012 I left my house early in the morning to catch a 7:30 flight in Norfolk to Orlando.
My dearest friend was about to make his journey home...his eternal home. Hoping I could arrive prior to his departure, I little more than made it out of my own city, than at his normal 5:00 a.m. devotion time, he went ahead and had his devotion time with God in person.
That really was best, because his wife and their two children (his oldest son was not there) were there together in those final moments and that's as it should of been.
So later that day, I arrived and was able to hold his family and love them. Later still, I was able to see my friend, whose tent was peacably displayed for a private viewing for his family and I. I hugged him, thanked him and kissed him and whispered to an unhearing ear, "I'll meet you on that beautiful shore." Those were the words to a song he had sung to me a few times on the phone...before he was even sick.

We celebrated his life in The Villages, Florida two nights later with around 75 people with several asking Jesus into their hearts. Three days later, we celebrated again in Rome, Georgia with maybe 250-300 people again with several asking Jesus to come into their lives. Seven days later we had our final service in Chesapeake, Virginia celebrating this wonderful man's life with between 600-700 people present, all of which was a wonderful testimony of the people whose lives this 60 year young man had touched.

Through all of this, I enjoyed sufficient strength from the Lord as a pastor and friend when ministering and loving on others. That strength was a gift and should not be confused for a lack of love or caring as anyone who knows me would realize (I'm kind of a cry baby).

Yesterday, I was relieved apparently of a good measure of that gift of strength ... for yesterday I cried and then to cover all bases, I cried some more. In fact, I was introduced to last night's sleep with a wet face and a broken heart. Not for my friend ... but for me! Selfish, maybe ... but it is his fault. He's the one who came into my life and made sure I never stopped learning to be who God wanted me to be.

One is blessed to have had such a friend and I am thankful.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you Brother James. As always you fill a void that I don't even know I have. I find I am able to fill some of those holes that make up my Void. At a later time in my life I found that God helps me Fill those holes of worry (Give it to God)the holes of Love (Give it to God) the strain on my marriage, of heart surgery and me losing Control, I was a control freak (Give it to God). You will notice a pattern here through all the problems Like Brother James I have learned to be a Grand Cry baby, I could win world titles as a champion Crier. So if I can't stop crying and my life is full of stress and I don't which hole to fill next (I Give it to God). He takes good care of me. HE has a new heart for me, all I have to do is LOVE Him And (Give it to HIM) ! Thanks God, Thanks Brother James, God Bless! Brother Gary M Reynolds