Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Farewell 2012

2012 brought so many challenges and changes to my life.

I found myself at the end of the earthly journey of numerous people this year. Soul after soul slipping into eternity. Most of these were softened by the reality of an eternity awaiting them in Heaven. Some of these people I was closer to than others. Many touched my life in incredible ways. My life is richer indeed for having had them in it.

I had two very special family members that I also had to say good-bye to. Many people would not understand me making that statement, thinking I was a little eccentric or something. Because I refer to my dogs. Tess brought security and companionship and joy to us for 15 years and Ginger entertained and blessed us for 10 of those years. Losing them within 3 weeks of each other was difficult.

Then there were two special friends who came into our lives over the years. One was almost 40 years ago and the other about 10 years ago, Eddie Piper and Stephen Hill who died within 24 hours of each other in August. Eddie in his 70's and Stephen was 50. I received the news of both of them when on my way and arriving at Florida when Chip was first diagnosed with Cancer.

Then three months later, Chip succumbs to that horrible disease. I was on my way to the airport to fly down to be with him when Teresa let me know his journey was done here. I spent the following week in Florida and Georgia with Teresa and Claire and Ben and Sarah. Part of me died that week and not one day goes by that I don't feel that gaping hole in my life. I have never had anyone touch my life as this man did. Tears appear as I write these words.

So then, I welcome 2013 with the hope of a different kind of year.

2012 was not all bad as many wonderful things happened as well. I witnessed many people being blessed in various ways. Ending our church year with an amazing December including 3 baptisms on the last Sunday night of the year.

I am healthy with a healthy family and a wonderful church and a great little dog...okay, a chihuahua.

I wish for you a wonderful year ahead. God bless you all. My hope for you is that you "...Seek first the Kingdom of God and His Righteousness..."

No comments: