Wednesday, July 9, 2008

This week, I'm a beach bum

I'm sorry it has taken so long to write...I'll try to do better.

Our family has never taken regular vacations together while my girls were growing up, I regret to say. We have taken our girls to the annual Southern Baptist Coventions most years, but that really is a far cry from vacation even with the one day that we would take to do something as a family.

So, two years ago a family in our church gave us a week of their time share in Pidgeon Forge which ended up being one of our best memories as a family. (sad to say for our first vacation ever as a family my girls were 24 and 20 years old)
So this week...our second vacation as a family... another family has given us a week of their time share in Virginia Beach.
I have lived an hour away from Virginia Beach all my life and I have never placed my feet on Virgina Beach sand in my whole life. Whenever someone says beach to us, we automatically think of the Outer Banks (Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, etc.) Although I have been on the board walk of Va. Beach twice before (once was in a car while we were enjoying the Christmas light tour on the boardwalk) and another time when I ate at a resturant and stepped outside on the boardwalk...but never out on the beach...until now.
This time share room is ocean front, bottom floor... 25 feet from the board walk itself. AWESOME!
Watching people dragging all of their beach stuff for 2 or 3 blocks to the beach really makes me appreciate walking out the door onto the boardwalk out on the sand and down to the water. The whole time, I have a shower, a bathroom and a refridgerator just a few yards away. So cool.
The night life is also neat... wait a minute...keep reading... walking down the strip along with hundreds of families...hearing kids scream while riding one of the amuzement rides ... seeing young people enjoying themselves... listening to live music like a tribute to Ella Fitzgerald on one stage and a blues/jazz group on another and a rock band on another.

Just walking and enjoying the sights and sounds and all of it familiy friendly. People are walking, skating, blading, biking and jogging down the boardwalk all the time. I especially like the signs posted up and down the street that have #*@%* (best I can do) with a crossed out circle over it.
In other words "No Cussing" . so cool...

So, it's been a good week and we so appreciate the gift of a week at the beach...Virginia Beach that is.

Have great a week.

No comments: