Monday, December 22, 2008

Mark's birthday

Okay, I am really sorry that I haven't written in over a month.

Just in case somebody is kind enough to come back and check, I'll attempt to write a new blog.

Today is December 22nd and is my father's birthday. If he was living he would be 102 years old. He was 49 years old when I was born. So when I was 12 he was 61 which meant we didn't play ball together or go hunting or fishing. We didn't go to ball games or camping trips and I never walked on the beach with my daddy.
So, you may be saying, oh that's sad...well not really, we still had a great relationship. In fact i thought of my father as my best friend. Other's thought he was my granddaddy (which always made him mad) but he was my daddy.
I use to go to work with him...carry shingles on the roof for him and run little errands.
Daddy was an incredible pool player and had in fact played many times with several time world champion Wimpy Lassiter. Wimpy was from our town and in fact lived down the street from us. I asked daddy one time if he ever beat Wimpy and he humbly said he had. But he also said that if you play somebody enough times you are going to beat them occassionally. That may be true, but I never seemed to remember ever beating daddy.
Well, just a tribute to my daddy tonight.
I'll try to write more tomorrow.
I love you daddy and sure wish you could see my girls...you'd be proud.

1 comment:

Jim Scott said...

James - good blog. I read it. Just shows you even people outside you congregation reads your blogs. I hope to be there to worship this Sunday 12/28. I will be staying in Duck with my extended family. God bless and MERRY CHRISTMAS! Jim Scott