Tuesday, January 13, 2009

No winners in the courtroom

I spent the most part of my day yesterday sitting in a courtroom in Virginia Beach. It was the sentencing hearing for the young man who killed one of our church members last May when driving while intoxicated.
This was a very diificult experience. It would have been easier if he had been an arrogant jerk who wanted to blame his upbringing or being bullied in grade school or abused by a co-worker or something. But that was not the case.
This young man was obviously a decent guy who was liked by every body who knows him. He had a great support system but not one witness excused what he did and in fact each of them seemed quite surprised that this could happen with him. It was testified that he was a faithful and gifted employee and trusted friend, a good son, a servant who even the day before the accident attended his friend's wedding and then stayed to help his friend's mother clean up after the reception.
Truly, any anger that one might have had with the guy, began to melt away...well at least it did for me. My heart was crushed with his brokeness and remorse and his unsoothed devastation for the family of the deceased.
Even the judge was moved with emotion as he handed down the sentence...not a slap on the wrist but a response to the law and it's intended purpose in that he gave him five years and a month.
Handcuffs clicked on the young man's wrist behind his back as he was led out of the room. No one wins...no one!
I boldly announced downstairs to the family of the deceased that they had no choice but to forgive this young man as he pleaded for that and believed that they did in fact forgive him. Some in the family had and some had not.
As I was driving back to Moyock the terrible thought flooded my mind..."Would I be able to forgive someone if this happened to my family?" I guess I can't really say that for sure...but after sitting in that courtroom yesterday, I believe by God's grace I could do that. I do hope and pray I will never have to know the answer to that question.
A couple or three beers ...no problem... maybe not for some... but at least for one, it was exceeded speed, missed stop light, collision with an innocent person, death, heartache and five years...No, a lifetime in prison...or at least the equivalent.

Alcohol, is it ever a good idea? Ask Mr. Covington or Mr. or Mrs. Gardner.
I write this because I care!

2 comments:

Julia said...

I agree with you...Thank you so much for your candidness...and my prayer is that nothing like this ever happens in any of our families...but that if it does that we rest on the teachings of The Bible and know that God will lead us thru every aspect of our lives..

Unknown said...

I lost a cousin many years ago through the negligence of another driver. Alcohol was not involved and no laws were broken; just a bad set of circumstances leading to the loss of a great young man. I was angry. But the anger was drained out of me when I saw Dwayne, younger brother of the deceased help the "killer" out of his car in front of the church and then hold him up and walk with him inside for the funeral. How could I not immediately forgive this man? It was a life lesson for me and I thank God for allowing me to witness such an act of love and forgiveness.