Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Preach it, Brother!

I wonder how many people have to ask forgiveness for lying after they shake the preacher's hand after a sermon. "Great job Preacher" "Oh, brother that was awesome" "Good Word, Pastor" "Oh, my toes hurt this morning preacher"... well you get the idea.

One guy said one Sunday "Preacher, you sure used a lots of words today!"

I laugh sometimes (on the inside) when people's expressions and eyes and body language scream out something different from what they are saying.

Truth is not every sermon is going to move every person so a preacher can only pray hard, study long and think creatively... the real work comes from the Holy Spirit.

So, with all that said, it is really refreshing when people call or e-mail or show up a day or two or more after the sermon and say things like... "I couldn't shake what you said from my mind" or
"God really spoke to me Sunday and I want you to know that I have already ..." or, "Okay, preacher, here's what I have done since Sunday, can you give me some additional scripture or insight so that I can..."

When I get those kind of calls or comments the week following a sermon, I smile deep inside and thank God for allowing me to be a preacher. That has happened several times already this week and has blessed me greatly (no, it doesn't happen every week).

My sermon this past Sunday spoke to Doing your job, doing it now and doing it right. If God has laid an asignment on you (and he has) do it... do it now ... and do it right.

No comments: