Thursday, June 19, 2008

Where There Is Smoke ...

Driving in to work this morning I was once again met with thick smoke in the air. This situation motivated us on Monday to purchase several Oreck air purifiers and we have upped our contribution to sinus & allergy medicines. Our lives have been altered by the smoke in the air. I don't know who gets credit for the statement, but someone has said "Where there is smoke, there is fire". True enough there is fire, in fact at least two serious wildfires burning near us. One is south of us and the other is north/northwest. And though both are serveral miles away they are changing some of the ways we are doing things. For example, I am staying inside more and have even resorted to wearing a mask while watching TV one night.

Isaiah speaks of a fire inside of himself. We often talk about being on fire or having a fire lit under ourselves. The facts I mentioned in the previous paragraph is truth in our spiritual lives. If we are on fire there will be evidence (smoke) and if there is evidence, it will affect those around us. I must ask me a question...am I on fire and is my fire big enough to produce a significant amount of smoke and is my smoke reaching hearts and lives around me?

I do hope the wildfires are soon doused and that I will be less affected by them but I also hope the fire in me is never quenched and that I will have an affect on those around me in a positive and life altering way.

No comments: