Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Short Timers

My wife told me about a boy (man) that grew up in her community who simply passed away with a massive heart attack yesterday. Not yet 50 years old. Her brother spoke to the man Thursday in his yard...no sign of the end coming that was apparant.

NBC's news reports have been dominated this week by Tim Russert's death at the age of 58, also of a heart attack.

Last night at 10:00 I received a call about a 13 year old boy who had suffered a head injury in a skateboard accident and possibly not going to make it ... the good news now is that he is going to be okay... and this morning I was listening to a sermon where the preacher described his day on August 16th of last year when his young wife was killed in an automobile accident.

Those are depressing stories but they serve as reminders of what James says in James 4:14 "For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time, and then vanishs away."

Our time on earth is short for sure even if we have 80 years as in comparison to eternity.

Hebrews goes on to say that " It is appointed to men once to die but after this the judgement".

So what we believe when we are alive will determine where we end up after we are dead.

We are short timers, my prayer is that you have come to a place where you have received Jesus into your life and have surrendered yourself to him.

1 comment:

Chip Roberson said...

I don't want to die . . .
I don't want to die . . .
aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I don't want to die . . .

Uh, tell you Mama and Daddy "what cha durin"
love ya,
c